Auditioning layers for new "quilts"

As I started thinking about how to present the Miniature Crumb Quilts, I felt they needed to have another layer under them, a bit like a real quilt would have a "binding" but also give the feeling of plumpness. 

Yesterday I decided to search for a 100% cotton rag paper, maybe a watercolor paper with a torn edge. It would need to be either A1 or A2, as the work shown here the other day are A3.

It seemed feasible...

Overnight my creative brain said " what about cutting the blue painted A3 up a bit" so I cut 1.5cm off 2 sides. Here it is auditioned on cream A3 piece of paper. I think it will look okay, but also think I could cut the blue one down some more. 

yes those are some more crumbs that are on crooked as they are not attached. 

Have a creative day wherever you are

Catherine 

Comments

Ann said…
Perfect idea. It looks wonderful.
Anonymous said…
I have no formal art appreciation. I tend to go with my own innate feelings. but I know enough to sense these are lovely.
there's a balance to them and yet a freedom! I love this new track you're on! your own study in blue. xo
MadSnapper said…
i love it when an idea I have works out. yours worked well. I also am happy when my brain kicks in to creativity and I can run with it
Thanks Ann, I'm enjoying the new idea. It will certainly use up a lot of scraps.

Thanks Tammy, I actually cut another colourway - a desert orange colour but took around 4 cm of 2 sides, doesn't seem to detract the quilt crumbs in any way.

Thanks Sandra, My brain always seems to kick in at night, when I must ponder something without thinking...

Everyone, I think now, I need to get out my sewing machine, not for those bigger quilts but for some smaller ones and see how it would work if I stitched things onto the backing...I was going to glue them down, but outlining them in another medium seems to arguing along those lines.

Not today, got to do household "things" and that will probably zap what energy I have...
Rose said…
This really adds to it, and I would not have thought it could be improved. Show how much I know.

Popular Posts