Hilarious issues with "couching challenge"

I'm not sure what I had expected when I posted this yesterday in the "couching challenge"

I explained what the materials were...seemed quite straightforward for how I work!

But then the comments started arriving...and I realised that maybe some people do not understand what a "thread can be" - probably never met anything outside an embroidery or yarn shop. And certainly not one cut in half from the strapping on a shipping box. I had posted the boxes for reference!

Some thought it was "tongue in cheek" some thought that the background material that looked all grungy was because it was a "mop up cloth after an accident" and a whole lot seemed rather confused or they thought I was trying to do recycling...a couple hadn't heard of an alcohol ink but did know about coffee dyeing! 

This morning taken it to another level and posted - more alcohol ink over it all...and mentioned for the strange commentator that to Right: mopping up paper. That said paper interesting marks that will move onto be another work.

***
I began to realise pretty quickly that there is a wide chasm between me and the textile community that is part of. I explained at one point I did have ordinary threads & proper threads!

I kind of left that hanging...because I didn't truly want to "UPSET ANYONE" even though it appears most are dull-wits on pushing the ENVELOPE...

***
Not sure I'll continue to post anything more
Although I may do one of the earlier challenges as I can see the strapping would make a rather nice "white picket fence" in a garden setting...

***
Now to show you I've got a few other things done...
One piece on two separate backboards, can't decide which is best to use 
Or do I do something else
(the dark brown backing will need repainting, is has some pink peeping off to one side)!




Comments

Anonymous said…
finding the bottom two amazing in the different 'feelings'
of the dark background and the lighter one. can't decide which I like better.
did you mean for a little owl to be sitting there? !!! xo
tammy: looking for "what little owl?" me: can't see it!
tammy: what have you been smoking :-)
Ann said…
Sometimes these groups are full of people who work "inside the box" I was in a challenge group once that had some very critical people and if you didn't do things the right way (their way) your work was unacceptable. I didn't last long there
Rose said…
There are always people who think their way is the only way...me I am always glad to find a different way to try things.

I think I see the owl--there is a term for it...but you have to use your imaginination. It is the very top piece! Sort of looks like it has googly eyes and a nose.
Rose said…
I was also going to say that there are a few quilters that think their way is the only way. But most are open to new ways...or at the least enjoy seeing other options, even if they choose to go their own way.
Ann and Rose:

Pretty sure there are people who work/make "outside the box" v those "inside the box"

I've never been at inside the box - especially if the lines are drawn for me to stay inside...my hands just so disabled at times that they make "threads/paint/other" jump right over the deep dark line. Same when I'm supposed be following a straight line of x-stitch or similar. Some mad person forgets that you've supposed to bring the thread in from the L and over the R, every little x-stitch...

yes, I've met your person who enjoys what you "do" but will never chose it themselves... I think they admire that you can "push the envelope" or they are scared that their peers will send them to perjury or similar :-)

Popular Posts