The story that flows through the book...

(not sure I can do this...it will be hard to understand, as it doesn't make much sense without the pictures, and I had to shorten the width, that means that some lines may be over a few lines on a page OR maybe not. It printed on a fade through blueish paper - later I will show you a couple of pages, so you can see how it will work)


Follow my tale, be it real or imagined
For me this small quote evokes that leaves are. Be it an autumnal day when they sway/dance
to an unseen tune
Birds, light as a feather,
Go with the flow
Did you flip me, yes you did!
Add your memory, go on I know you want to…
See we are different, small or large, even spiky. JOY
Can you image this huge green leaf, like a plate Floating oasis, protecting what lies behind
Leaves provide the growing protection for these magic blooms – once a year – December.
More leaves provide shelter for fruits, who doesn’t like a crunchy apple with that tiny leaf at the stalk end.
This sentiment sums up well feed and watered – greening, maturing our world of blossoms.

We need the humble leaf – nurtures the fruit
Glorious fruits
Feed, water, sun
= greening our world
Adds much to our natural world,
producing colour and soil
Contrast with softness, the precision
Gardener
Turn the page, have we entered rage,
a vastly different leafy world
Is it morn or eve, you decide
Deep in the forest, tall and semi old trees,
leaves far above … unseen
On the ground, that odd grouping
waiting
From a forest cloaked in green to a magic
summers day
We leave reality and stride forth into abstract
Interest unfolds
Among the leaves, my house cold in winter
I flee to summer climes
Bewildering, I feel not so safe
Until I’m enveloped, hidden among foliage
A different leaf, or is it?
Among the fallen debris of life,
Odd trees appear
Simple ferns evolve, not planted just arrive
A trailing vine – magnificent leaves
Protect fruits and tiny bugs
Long evolved trees
Create sanctuary
Now pen your own thoughts, find a leaf
Back among the precision gardener,
leaves await colour.
And just to be sure, more for colouring in
Peace and security, go hug a tree
Today
and live more positively
Our trees need you
As we need them
Winter comes, we lose our leaves
They often just float away on a whim
But they will come again
And when they do, they bring with them
the buds of flowers and fruits – Spring
As this small book comes to an end, we are
reminded that I can be a big or a small leaf among
Large and Small trees
I am a community – a necessity of life
I’m with you in different guises – year round
Sometimes dormant, taking time to return
I’m a special connection to a plant based life
***
A little book about trees and leaves, with an emphasis on leaves. Originally this was a plain paged note book for you to write in, but I then decided a tiny story with pictures and some words was a better way for you to enjoy flipping through it. I created all the pictures, and of course the words. ENJOY


Comments

sorry if the "print is small" it's not that small here....but anyway, I did manage to cut/paste into blog-post-page...
CheerfulMonk said…
The print is all right, I can easily expand it on my screen. That is one powerful poem!
changed the way "comments" set up...

the little book has way too many pages! But that's what happens when you want to recycle something. So it looks really long but some of the pages will have up to 3 lines on them...
Ann said…
It's very nice.
K and T said…
I love your creativity!
Anonymous said…
I've read it twice now. I started reading it in my email that comes telling me of a new post before I even clicked on the post!
then I slowly read it again.
I love free verse. it's my most favorite kind of poetry … along with Haiku.
parts of this poem made me have tears in my eyes.
it's very beautiful Catherine!
(I love trees. I feel they are sacred beings. and we have no idea of them really.) your poem has captured that.
I used to have a secret place when I was a child. it was in the hollow of a tree... just the right size for a small child. I would listen to the aspen leaves blowing all silvery in the wind. but I was protected. it was perfect!
thank you for sharing this with us!
don't know how to reply individually...

Ann, thanks

K and T, it keeps me off the streets and out of the sweet shop...I had a friend yesterday, who has lent me a huge range of jewelry pliers so that I can do the "bead thing" more easily. I apologised the the extra mess - and she said "it's what I expect...of you" I try to tidy up, occasionally, like in make pretty piles!

tammy, it looks long and it is about 250 words but there are so many pages...time will tell if it sorts out properly. Possibly later today. It's even more longer than say a normal poem because I needed to be able to cut them apart - double line spacing...
Anne L said…
I love this poem too, Catherine. Of course I would, it's about trees and leaves! And written in your hand-made book. What a treasure.
Anne L - I don't know why I chose "leaves" as a starter, maybe it was the Autumnal book that did it. I've not exactly "written in it" as the computer software has assisted. Some of the words above, when placed on page, didn't seem to fit, then one of those unfitted word phrases appeared almost at the back :-) - I've not "found a cover fabric" and tomorrow which is Waitangi Day here - well fix the rest of it and the Autumnal Grunge book...

Then it will be time to move to the next small or medium sized picture/word book...

Popular Posts