Looking forward with different objects...

I'm pretty sure I posted about Autumn Grunge but maybe I didn't. Anyway it's a bigger handmade book than I've made before with 3 signatures and around 80 pages - with my own artwork, and my take on how to make pages. There is only one center signature page that isn't truly my own work - that a photographed commercial fat quarter quilters cloth.

When I looked at loading a photo from within this blog, appears not that I've even talked about it....this is the cover with it's tie cord.
Anyway, it will probably reside with me as I don't think I will ever want to part with it...but that's beside what occurred when I took it out this last Wednesday to visit with interested parties

Autumn Grunge and I ended up having a very interesting conversation with Doris who owns a bespoke book store in Newmarket. She could see the value of it, she felt that the kind of price I wanted for it was also good, and she made some helpful suggestions. None, of which  had to with having it for sale in her store.

But Doris was keen for me to utilise my skills as a maker and to that end I'm in the process of making a slightly different take on a book...

This isn't really what I'm doing, but this or parts of this run through  the object/s.
(this is one of my photographs but it can't be repeated, the printer went AWOL on this)


I hadn't taken the new "trees and leaves" book with the story running through it...which was probably a bit of a mistake, but at the time I didn't know I was going to even meet Doris. It had been Ngaire from the fine arts gallery across the road who had suggested it. And actually Doris wondered why the fine arts gallery wasn't interested in my art...(but that's another aspect)

I feel Doris would dearly like to help me, I asked when I was leaving, could I come back with other ideas...and yep, she's okay with that. I feel she could be a kind of mentor.

Now this is of course "recoloured" paper/s but it's not from a commercial paint or even a paint brush...although I brush excess bits off later.

I'm trying to live more gracefully and at the same time be more healthy - so one of the trends in eating is roasted beetroot. I bought 3 medium sized beetroot and roasted them. I quite like the taste but unfortunately my body didn't - it wasn't instant the dislike but it gave me a run for money.

I had only eaten about 20grms of it, a quarter of one of the medium sized vegetable. I tried eating less of it the day after, well let's not go there

So here I am, with 2.1/2 beetroot in the fridge...yes I could've just binned them BUT IF...

The papers are dry, the look interesting...some I dabbed on (with disposable gloves on); some swished the edges on; and some I put some water in and left them swimming...

I've now cut the rest up and put them in the freezer, I think they will revive to be beetroot DYE next time...

And it so much fun

Lastly, the new work that may or may not be a goer...needed the sewing machine, so besides running out of the top thread, so did the bobbin. But again what fun...






Comments

Rose said…
I like the beetroot pages...they sure have a nice color. I wonder if the color will rub off on other stuff. It will interesting to see what you do with them.
Rose: thanks...
now that's something I hadn't thought about but when I think of the coffee dyed pages, when they are dry, they's dry. I used to iron the coffee/tea dyed papers so maybe I should run the iron over these...
Anonymous said…
my most favorite color as a child! MAGENTA!!!
all the crayons in the box weren't as worn down as the magenta one!
and it's still one of my favorites. AND one of my favorite vegetables.
sorry it doesn't agree with you. but it's wonderful to use it in your art!
tammy, I love the colour as well - visually anyway - or so it seems. When I think about eating other beetroot it's been a thin slice from a canned product on a burger!

the objects I'm working on right now, are not pink tones but I can see next lot will be. Maybe in a few days time I will have something to show...all I can say "it's going well..."
Ann said…
How nice to have someone who can give you input and suggestions on your work. I love the color of the paper done with the beetroot.
K and T said…
I always enjoy the colors you use. The magenta is gorgeous and Autumn Grunge is so special.
Ann and K & T: thanks for your comments...I splashed some other alcohol inks on some of the wet ones and that made some more entertaining marks...I could now do something very pink, as I painted a lot of paper pink recently...
Anne L said…
Vegetable art takes on a whole new meaning!
Having Doris as a mentor is a great idea. It is so good to have someone in the know to bounce ideas off.
Ann L: the food stuffs I have been using have always caused people to be astounded - that's "coffee" and now it will more than likely be "beetroot" - I know a lot of food stuffs have been used by others especially natural dyeing but this is more instant...and it doesn't require me to gather kgs upon kgs of material, boil them forever and so forth. I kind of made a solution of the juice that ran out at times, so a lot of papery items got a full monty...some had extras added. I have a nice supply of "coloured paper in those tones..."

Today, back to sewing machine and that's all do with one of Doris's suggestions although that had not been including sewing the edges or doing some more couching...Will show when I've got it done; and explain!

Popular Posts