Boxed Journaling Cards

When retailers suggest something, you decide that maybe I could do something a little different to a hand made book - which as I suspected wouldn't sell well, unless I had a following.

Many of these cards had been made to fix in future pockets in a handmade book, but they with others are "waiting"

I have a few of this sized lidded boxes that of course held all kinds of other things so I thought "why not?"

there are 17 collage cards and 2 blank cards in this box - which could probably hold a few more.

Each card is stitched around the edges, to give a little more definition and there is a linking "stamp" on each card which relates to the pocket on the front of the box, and also in the base of box.

The maximum sized card is 13 x 17 cm, but some are smaller, mainly because I have used the "recycled previously made cards" but also added a few newer made ones, like this top one below

Box opened

One blank card - and 2 random cards
note linking "stamp" on blank card that is on all cards

sideways view of box lid
That is a pocket which will hold details of this artwork

***

Extra information: the box was a little hard to work with as it had held other commercial cards at some point, and their was a finish over the box, that I couldn't remove, even with my trusty steel washing thingymegig. So I covered it with coffee dyed paper, and then later put the yellow paint on it to try and define it.

Actually pleased with the idea...have decided to make some others

One of them with couched threads as the top part, more vintage looking...

And then to make things even more cohesive, been "dabbling..."


these first two, are actually part of a larger A3 paper



these last three, mopping up puddles...


Comments

Very innovative and perhaps will do better than the hand made books at the retail level. All the best.
Ann said…
What a nice selection of cards. I find the last pictures quite fascinating with all the different techniques you used to get the look
Ramana: Yes, I think the cards or similar have a better retail option but I do like making the books, but maybe more for personal use

Ann: secret serendipity - because mostly I can't see what is happening until I lift the paper off and turn it over...and they are usually still wet, so I might do something else with them, moves the colouring about in entertaining ways. Thanks for your thought on the "look"
CheerfulMonk said…
That idea is a winner!
CM - yep that could be the winner, at least it will give me a "product" that some people might want - be it a sale, or a gift they will use. And on top of that I don't feel like I've got to do a 'lot of work' - like the books that have to collated etc. All I need to know is "will this piece of card fit in xyz box"
Anne L said…
It's a great idea, although I can understand why making the books is more satisfying. Can I suggest to limit the number of cards you put in a box? I would think that to put in more than six would make the box too expensive ~ or you will be loosing money. The woman you talked to the other day would be a good guide on this.
Rose said…
I need to read your blog of the morn...I always wish work on something after I read it and usually by now, just want to sit and watch TV with hubby. I am so glad to have found your blog...love seeing what you do.
Anne L: yes I will limit them - but for now just having some fun - hope to find a couple of generic sized boxes that are a little less deep ...
Or as I found today a business that will possibly print art cards of mine - the sizing and suggestion types, at the point of inquiry, put it into too expensive, but I think that was because I didn't have any samples with me.
Also it's possible I think to have just basically "ordinary" types not so OTT...

Rose: yes nice to see you. I also have another blog with wordpress, usually with a slightly different slant or it refers you over to here, which is basically more "arti-fied" https://cedar51.wordpress.com/ (although it looks new, I actually ditched everything back to 2010 earlier this year...and there is not records of those years)
Anonymous said…
I've read all the thoughts. wonderful. and DITTO!
most of all it dawns on me that you are a master in using COLOR!!!
things I would never think of. it all becomes beautiful at your touch. xo
tammy j: that's definitely not intentional, most of the colours...but they do usually work well together. I don't bin or over paint many. Not sure where this is leading, but since I put together another wee box of colours today, I'm now having a tidy up of "materials and supplies" - not much is going in the bin, but it's been good to find a few things...waiting in the wings.

Popular Posts