My new Sewing Machine

I'm not sure if I told you that I was buying a brand spanking new machine, not one with lots of features but enough fancy stitches to make my heart sing.

It was delivered late last week and Matthew showed me the basics. Some of which now, I can't fathom out well - although it appears I actually put the top-loading bobbin in correctly. This when the bobbin thread ran out on this top edge of this:

I haven't got many modern threads and quickly Matthew selected the "red" and he basically wound a 1/2 bobbin. So when I had sewn right across the first time, realised it ran out half way across. A bit of a learning curve winding another bobbin.

This is part of one of my hand-woven woollen tablemats that I'm proposing to use on the "pink book" that went off-edge, the bottom fringe is to remain.

Then I sewed around this paper on semi-card journaling card that I had already made just to see if my machine liked paper it appears too...

At some point, I will give my machine a name...

Sometime this week, I will get some more colours of a modern kind of thread. And then I can do some of the other cloth objects I have set up to do. I think I will sort out whether it's possible to couch down the old threads, as I have some nice colours.


Comments

Ann said…
It was a bit of a learning curve when I first got the sewing machine that I have now. You'l have everything mastered in no time. I do like the top loading bobbin though. My machine will stope sewing and tell you that the bobbin is running out..
yep, pretty sure I will master it...

I had a lot other sewing threads that Matthew, said "no good to use" so I wondered what I should do with them? Am couching them down with the modern thread on some material, the end result will probably land up up on a book cover or similar...
CheerfulMonk said…
I'm so happy you bought it! That's a nuisance about the threads and the bobbin.
Possibly not really a nuisance...but when you just want to get on with sewing...yes a nuisance
Anonymous said…
so exciting! I always thought it would be fun to make my own clothes.
well. that is if I could sew! LOL
you will figure it all out and master it in no time! xo
Not sure I want to make my own clothes again...many decades I did, mainly in my early 20s. Lately I've been roughly mending things...not classy though!

Popular Posts