"TWO FISH"

and indeed there are just TWO @ FISH :-)

Just for a change these are sideways collage again on some cereal box or similar. The backing cloth has a bit of a story.

When I was tiding up my fabrics, I came upon the orange unusual constructed pattern, a rather large length and it felt like the kind of thing my rag weaving friend would like as it would cut up nicely. Or so I thought!

Of the lot that day I was gifting, she looked carefully at it and said "no thanks"... I put in the thrift bag and thought no more about it, I hadn't even kept a strip!

I needed something semi-pastel with interest - yep, you guessed it I remember that strange fabric and yep it has worked well - gives the collage a kind of substance!

The next layer up is actually part of my quilting/patchwork stash - I never really had a lot of that type of fabric but I had already put it for a substrate, I just didn't know what it would be wish...

And then there are the FISH, you've seen them before - and I don't think there is anymore of that fabric to be had...


Comments

CheerfulMonk said…
That's why artists can never be severe minimalists -- they need plenty of materials to choose from/work with. Yay, Catherine!
Ann said…
It all goes together perfectly. Each piece looks like it had meant to go with the next . Thankfully you had the eye to put them all together
I think I could do quite well with a few materials, I proved that with the "leaves" last year...even though I did have wide range of things with me, the "drawing paper" wasn't!

I've been considering a little project that alludes to "few" that could be quite interesting...more later when I have the actual time to do it, as it will require a trip away to gather some materials (not tools)
some times, and I have a few long ago "must finish" - there is a lack of "eye/together" or the material won't co-operate which has absolutely nothing to do with my "generic hand disabilities"
I'm always quite pleased when the outcome looks "ordinary" to another, although I also don't mind when something goes pear shaped.

I was reading somewhere that the viewer isn't meant to understand, but rather to have their mind question "why" and then have their own mind find an answer, not expect the artist to reveal anything :-)

Anonymous said…
love this Catherine! but then I always like a collage or any art with fish!
maybe I'm a mermaid at heart.
I used to own a print of Matisse's fish. you know the one? I love the sea. and the colors. they just make me happy. until they get eaten by a bigger fish! LOL.
this site is wonderful. it's so fresh.

Popular Posts